Thursday, December 5, 2013

Quotes from Nelson Mandela

"During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to this struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die."

Opening of Trial on Charges of Sabotage,  

Pretoria, South Africa, April 20, 1964 

"We hold it as an inviolable principle that racism must be opposed by all the means that humanity has at its disposal. Wherever it occurs it has the potential to result in a systematic and comprehensive denial of human rights to those who are discriminated against. This is because all racism is inherently a challenge to human rights, because it denies the view that every human being is a person of equal worth with any other, because it treats entire peoples as subhuman. "

Statement at a Special Meeting of the UN Special Committee Against Apartheid, 

New York  June 22, 1990

 "Overcoming poverty is not a gesture of charity. It is an act of justice. It is the protection of a fundamental human right, the right to dignity and a decent life. While poverty persists, there is no true freedom. The steps that are needed from the developed nations are clear."

 Speech Delivered at Live 8,  Johannesburg, July 2, 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment